Two weeks to go, then finals, and done. Now is normally the busy period for me. Normally, this semester I have two weeks of regular work, one paper, one poster, and one presentation to complete along with two exams…maybe. If I win the next two Chopped Challenges I am free and clear of an exam. Odds are not in my favor. PK, a fellow student has been on a roll, and The Squiggle Formerly Known As Mark-Ben has also been on a roll. Most of rest of the students seem to believe Chopped is a form of punishment and either bail or bitch.
To prepare for Chopped I spent a few hours mocking up some creative resumes. Take a look:
One for if I apply to a Fight Club, not that I would talk about that job and the other if applying for a job with a bondage firm or would that be firm bondage? Not bad for a few hours of playing around and totally legit looking. 🙂
The nice thing about having more time to do anything other than school work is that I have been able to focus on the pocket books. Even though I do not like editing, I have doing just that. Something I found that works for me is to create a two column document. On one side the original, in this case scene or chapter, and on the other side the revised chapter or scene.
This allows me to immediately see the differences between the two versions. If the new version gets additional revisions I create a new two column document. This has been the best way for me to track changes and to keep from rewriting the wheel. I don’t know if this has happened to other writers, but after a particularly long round of edit and revision I discovered that I had changed a few sentences back to the original in the process of rewriting.
Something else that is different for me is I have two additional sets of eyes looking over my work. The muse receives a copy of each revised chapter to give me her notes and such and the editor who gets a copy after I have adjusted the scene or chapter from the muse’s notes. A very interesting and collaborative process and one I am finding to my liking. Normally I write alone, edit alone, and other people see the “final” product after I feel I am “done.” This collaborative approach gives me more time to look at material, new insights into my writing, and when I am “done,” I actually feel done or at least closer to done.